Not lost in The Lost City


Daniel and I just got back from the Lost City. I can´t even begin to describe what an amazing experience we had. The Lost City is a truly beautiful place and the pictures just don´t do it justice. I have to admit that hiking uphill in 90 degree hot humid tropical heat was a bit challenging. We were fortunate to only have to hike in the sun two days. The rest of the days were in the shade due to the tropical forest or the position of the sun. The forest that The Lost City is in is also home to three different indiginous communities. As we walked up and down the mountains, we periodically saw a pair of indiginous people walking through the forest. I can´t believe they walk barefoot still but due to skeptisism of white people and technological advancement, it seems the indiginous communities haven´t changed that much in the last hundred years. I included a picture of a Cogi villiage so you could see the grass huts that the indiginous people live in. These huts are suposidly very similar to the ones that were at The Lost City. All that is left now are the massive retaining walls that supported the huts and prevented the huts from mud slide damage. 
During our hike, we went up with a group of 6 other people our age that have been traveling through Latin America. They were incredibly nice and I have to admit that I an envious of them for having more time to travel than I do. The journey to the trailhead was also an adventure in itself. Some of our group rode ontop of the jeep and our driver drank beers all the way back to the city. 
There are so many rules that nobody bothers to follow here!Daniel and I are now recuperating in a small fishing villiage called Taganga near Santa Marta on the coast. 
Our hotel is right on the beach and it only costs 20 dollars a day! We have been sleeping alot and smearing calamine lotion on our mosquito bites. Tomorow we head over to a fancy all inclusive resort hotel for two days and then we fly back to Bogota. From there, I will leave Daniel and head to Mexico City for a week. Until then, I encourage everyone to quit their jobs and travel...okay...it isn´t so easy to do...but wouldn´t it be nice?
1 comment:
Where are the pictures. I want to see!!! Be very carefull in Mexico!! Love you!!
Post a Comment