After a 22 hour bus ride through the Andes, my Shannon and I arrived in Cuzco and settled in to our hostel. We then walked across town to the train station to get our tickets to Machu Pichu only to arrive to a door closing in front of faces. The train ticket office closes at 5 pm. --No exceptions. --Not even if you beg and plead as I did.
So we walked back through town and returned the next day for our tickets. There are various ways to get to Machu Pichu. Most international travelers do a 4 or 2 day trek on the Inca Trail. One must book this months in advance and since we did not, that left only a few other options. Besides the train, there is a hike through the jungle that you could do. Shannon and I were feeling lazy so we opted for the train. There is no other way to arrive to the small town, Aguas Calientes, at the base of Machu Pichu, besides the train. Today we will get on a bus and travel through the sacred valley and stop and some towns along the way. We will need to arrive to a town that I can´t spell (Olletantabo?)and get the train from there.
In the mean time, Shannon and I visited some of the museums and historic sites in Cuzco. There are many Inca Walls still partially in tact. Above is a picture of us standing next to one. The other picture is of a church which was built on top of an Incan wall. Supposedly the church sustained a lot of damage in some earthquakes but the Inca walls at the base of the church sustained very little damage.


No comments:
Post a Comment