Did i mention it was cold here...Bolivians do not use heating and while sleeping at 4 below zero Fahrenheit, i have adopted many strategies to keep warm at night while in Los salares del Uyuni. The three day trip through the desert was magnificent if i were to ignore that the radiator in our jeep blew out at 4:30 am or that we were lost in the desert at night for several hours because our driver had never done the trip before. Most of the streams and rivers we crossed were partially or totally frozen and i must admit, i spent most of my time running out of the car to take a few pictures and then quickly returning to the comforts of my sleeping bag. -despite the cold, the salt flats were just so amazing. It is one place where the absence of things makes it so amazing.
Here you can see pictures of me on the salt flat which is pure white salt that goes for miles and miles. In the middle of the salt flat lies an island with cactus and other plants that have amazingly adapted to this cold, harsh climate. 
We passed by a red lake with some llama near by as well. There are so many llama and alpaca along the roadside.
I also included a picture of me horseback riding amongst the red rocks of Tupiza.
Tupiza is close by to the place where Butch Cassidy may have died although they have yet to locate the actual grave.
I arrived in Sucre last night with some of the people i met on the salt flats trip. I will hopefully rest up in this beautiful colonial town as i arrange to take what i hope to be a 4 day walking tour of the surrounding countryside. The countryside of Sucre is home to the jalq'a people who are known for their beautiful weavings.
I would like to thank all of you who have taken the time to write me. I really appreciate hearing what is happening with friends and family. It helps me feel a bit more connected. I have tried to write back to all that have written and will continue to try to do so.
Take care!
*sorry about the punctuation...some of these computers in Bolivia don´t have everything in working order --especially the keyboards.
3 comments:
Wow that is so cold looking. I hope you have warm clothing. Will is is hot and humid here. So humid you can not breath.
Getting cold just looking at the pix!!!
Here you are missing the antics of 3 fledgling Coopers Hawks, very visible and very noisy, right by the Polo Fields in Golden Gate Park.
OK, not QUITE as exciting as traveling to new countries and meeting new people and ... well ok... (wry grin)
Tell me the world's biggest margarita lay beneath that salt...
What a beautiful space!
Your blog is life-giving in and of itself!!! One of my friends, who I put on to your blog, has a few free weeks and said to me, "I think I'm going to head to South America!"
Post a Comment