Tuesday, June 26, 2007

I arrived safe and sound in Lima this morning at around 6am! I didn´t sleep at all on the plane because I was compelled to watch "Wildhogs." While all the passengers slept I found myself giggling each time one of the characters in the movie fell off his bike. What is it about "falling" humor? It gets me every time. I managed to get a few hours of sleep in my hotel room until I was awoken by chants and yelling outside in the street. This is what I saw from my hotel room... The guy at the front desk said they were teachers protesting local corruption and advocating for a state run education system.

After I cleaned myself up in my 7 dollar a night hotel room (How cheap!) I walked on over to get one of the set meals (2 dollars!) at Plaza San Martin. This is were I discovered Inca Kola...very sweet and yummy soda that will be my diet Pepsi substitute for the duration. I felt obligated, even though I am dead tired, to tour around a bit since I´ll be flying to Juliaca (Lake Titicaca) tomorrow. I saw the monastery, the main cathedral and a park showing some of the old fortification around the city. Here is a picture of the San Francisco Monastery. They also had a really cool library that looked EXACTLY like something out of Harry Potter, but we weren´t permitted to take pictures...That means I´ll be able to spare you from seeing piles of human skulls in the crypts that were arranged in "una forma artistica."

Well, that´s it for now. I want to thank all of you that have been so supportive of me traveling like this...especially Daniel...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hola, Stacie! Gracias por tu reportaje tan pronto!
No puedo mirar tus photos - estan demasiado grandes para mi "dial up"! Que lastima. Pero - quiero decir gracias a tu y a Daniel por haber llevar los libros a mi hogar.
Buena viaje, amiga.

Unknown said...

so happy to hear that you arrived safely! i loved reading about your first day. can't wait to see more pics and hear more tales!

Unknown said...

I am so envious! This trip sounds so fun. Have a great time at the lake.
(This is Grace, btw) :)

Theriaque said...

What an exciting start to your trip! Nothing like a good street protest to start the day. (And Folger's thought they had the monopoly on the best part of waking up...) God bless you and the poor souls who've become artwork... *smile*

Stacey said...

Okay, let's see if I can do this right...I have typed a little ditty like twice now and seem to be computer illiterate.
Anyway - I LOVE that you are running around with no sleep and trying to absorb every ounce of culture and experience you can! You are my hero. I can't wait to read about the rest of your ventures! Stay safe and enjoy! L, Stacey